Thursday, July 03, 2008

2008 Update. Part 1.

Right, I’m trying. So a more detailed update.

I really can’t face telling you everything about the job for the last couple of years, so I’ll tell you how I got here. If you’ve read the stuff below then you’ll know I was working for Calypso Divers in Kata. After almost 2 years of tour leading the lovely Greta I felt it was time to move onwards and upwards, and a great opportunity presented itself to tour lead aboard Colona VI, owned by Colona Liveaboards in Chalong. I was planning two seasons there, at least, as I was really enjoying the job, the diving, and the company, but in August of 2007 an even better opportunity presented itself….

Aquamarine Dive Center in Chalong were looking for 2 people to run their 5* liveaboard MV Philkade. The combination of an awesome boat, the chance to work with Kerry, upping our reputations, and more varied diving was too much. So in a nutshell……we applied, we interviewed, we had new jobs. After a season on the boat and now a low season where we’re working everyday preparing for next season as well as the expansion for the company towards both day tripping and being a ‘complete dive centre’ rather than simply a liveaboard company you could say it was good move!! Yes you could!! And the way things look here is very exciting…could this be something more long term with some kind of career ladder? Watch this space…

The icing on the cake though is the coming season. We announced a trip to the Andaman Islands and have now had to extend it to two trips as a full charter has already confirmed. So next March it’s almost a month in the very very nearly middle of nowhere. And then June 2009 the boat will run low season Lombok to Komodo in Indonesia!! I’m very nearly wetting my pants just writing this.

So that’s where we are. Or at least where I am career-wise.

Coming soon…..home life? friends? family? Who knows…….or even cares.

Stay well people.

Mik.x

No comments: