Friday, October 10, 2008

No response from Tesco? Try their boss

If, like me, you have received nothing but an automated response to your e-mail to Tesco regarding the sales of Shark Fin in Asia you may be feeling as frustrated as me. If so, why not mail their CEO

His name is Terry Leahy, and his e-mail address is terry.leahy@uk.tesco.com. While I appreciate that this may not be the address for e-mails that actually arrive on his desk, it should at least arrive in the same building as him, and it will give the poor people on the customer service desk a rest

I've copied a copy of the e-mail I've sent below, if you want to join in the fun again either copy the original mail sent to the customer sevice desk, or even make up your own. After all, variety is the spice of life. And just in case you're living outside the UK and are thinking that Tesco means nothing to you think again. They have stores in China, The Czech Republic, France, Hungary, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Malaysia, Slovakia, Poland, Slovakia, South Korea, Turkey, and the USA (where they are known as 'Fresh and Easy'). Feel free to write to their domestic head offices.

Also, if anyone living outside Thailand findes themselves in a Tesco store please take a look for shark fin. If you find it, please let me know and send a picture if possible.

OK, and to Terry's new e-mail

Dear Mr Leahy,

On Tuesday October the 7th I e-mailed your customer service department in the UK with the e-mail that you can read below. Unfortunately it seems to have got lost in your system and so I have contacted every person I know (who seems to have contacted every person they know), as well as several organisations who spend their days and nights campaigning againsts the issue it refers to (these include among others The Shark Trust, WWF, Greenpeace, and WildAid). I refuse to believe that all of these peoples e-mails have also gone amiss, and yet we are all struggling for some kind of response.

Somehow I also seem to have managed to contact several dive magazines (including Diver whom I believe advertise you on their website), several national newspapers in the UK as well as PADI, SSI, Project Aware and several other world wide organisations that are commited to the survival of sharks in our oceans.

I understand that things do not happen overnight, but I was expecting at least some kind of polite response that you may have been looking into the issue, even if you were actually sat at your desk picking your nose. In light of your lack of response I can only assume that the fact that a 90% decline of sharks in the ocean, primarily due to shark finning, means nothing to you when compared to profits that your company makes around the world.

Be sure that I have no intention of letting this issue drop until something is done about it. Please remember to read on in order to understand the issue at hand. You can also follow my progress on http://www.mikkylad.blogspot.com/.

Kind regards,

Mik Jennings.

No comments: