Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Tesco Update

First off all I'd like to thank everyone who has sent me messages of support in my effort to stop Tesco Lotus in Thailand selling frozen Shark Fin. But as an update...
24 hours after contacting Tesco in the UK I am yet to receive anything other than an automated response that they have received the mail. As you can imagine I'm over the moon that they care so much.
I've received many responses from both here in Phuket and also from other areas from dive schools and organisations that are appalled to find that a UK based supermarket chain who, lets not forget, was recognised as "an Example of Excellence in the Barclays Environmental Leadership category at the Business in the Community Awards for Excellence in July 2008". From these schools and from myself, organisations such as PADI, SSI, the Thailand Diving Association and Project Aware have now informed and will hopefully be adding their weight to my little campaign.
This morning, after finding that Tesco have yet to respond to me (or in fact to anyone I know who has e-mailed them about this issue) I have highlighted the issue to The Times, The Telegraph, The Sun, The Mirror, The Independant, The Express, The Daily Mail, among several others. Hopefully this will at least bring the issue to a wider audience.
Keep you eyes open here for more updates. But before I sign off, maybe it would interest you to know that this is not the first time that Tesco have been highlighted in the news for their lack of morals with regard to sales of 'animal products' in the east. See the link below for their ethics on selling live turtle and tortoises in their stores in China...
Until next time, keep up the pressure guys. One smal battle at a time.
Mik.

No comments: